Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Data center should be painted black? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15343)

bl1ndvision 02-11-2009 04:10 PM

Data center should be painted black?

I had a meeting recently with someone quite experienced in designing data centers, and he suggested we paint our new data center black because spiders won't make webs on black ceilings/walls.

is there any validity to this? Has anyone heard this fact/myth before?? :confused:

KenB 02-11-2009 04:21 PM

That's a new one on me. Think he was pulling your leg? :rolleyes:

Ken

Schumie 02-11-2009 04:24 PM

Can't say I've ever heard of this one before either!

I'd also think black was a bad color to choose especially if there is any natural light entering your data centre (as this would absorb heat better than white)

bl1ndvision 02-11-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB (Post 23084)
That's a new one on me. Think he was pulling your leg? :rolleyes:

Ken

i'm pretty sure he was serious, he was explaining the rationale for the black paint with our vice president.

Keith 02-11-2009 05:34 PM

Let me quote directly from the TIA-942 standard:

5.3.4.4 Treatment
"Floors, walls, and ceiling shall be sealed, painted, or constructed of a material to minimize dust.
Finishes should be light in color to enhance room lighting. Floors shall have anti-static properties
in accordance with IEC 61000-4-2."

Plus, I personally do not like spiders but they do serve a purpose in nature which is to kill other bugs. :)

bl1ndvision 02-11-2009 06:10 PM

That's good info Keith.

yeah, I questioned his comment at the time, but figured he must know what he was talking about...but apparently that's not the case.

Thanks for all the responses.

princee18 02-12-2009 02:06 PM

Wow, thats a cool tip, if it really works. I have never heard about this before. Everybody would appreciate if it really solves the problem of webs in the DCs.

cirereyes 04-22-2009 10:38 PM

I don’t think that the color really matters. I’ve seen spiders in black painted walls, and in darker areas. I think having a regular schedule of cleaning up the center is a better solution.

john1544 04-29-2009 07:30 AM

Yes i also heard this myth before but not sure is it correct or not. And also i havent seen black color in any data center.I think you will have to do more research on it.
Best thing is that you will have to visit more data centers and check yourself.

VictorYameer 04-29-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl1ndvision (Post 23083)
I had a meeting recently with someone quite experienced in designing data centers, and he suggested we paint our new data center black because spiders won't make webs on black ceilings/walls.

is there any validity to this? Has anyone heard this fact/myth before?? :confused:

Oh is it? I think, if you can have some light orange or green or blue color - That will make your staffs to get more motivation - some research works had proven that..... But BLACK, it will give them more pressure and a sad mind... Is it? Think a minute, before u go ahead with black :)