Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Fire protection systems (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19009)

andrew25 04-30-2009 04:55 PM

Fire protection systems

What type of fire protection system do you use in data centers. We use smoke detectors and fire sprinkler systems. And there are also a number of passive devices being used for fire detection and control at the very early stages.

cirereyes 05-04-2009 02:49 PM

The gas based fire suppression is triggered by smoke and water sprinklers are triggered by heat, so I think its best to have both of them. Personally I wouldn’t go for the sprinklers, because water can damage the servers.

cherokeeflyer 05-10-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirereyes (Post 27181)
The gas based fire suppression is triggered by smoke and water sprinklers are triggered by heat, so I think its best to have both of them. Personally I wouldn’t go for the sprinklers, because water can damage the servers.

I've read articles about DC fire suppression where claims are made that if you im################y clean up the water, that most of your equipment will be fine with sprinklers, but it seems hard to believe. I suppose it has to do with how much water gets into/on electronic parts that have power running through them.

I don't know, while a lot cheaper than gas, I just can't get comfortable with the idea of spraying my servers with water.

KenB 05-10-2009 05:34 PM

Pre-action sprinkler systems are designed to keep things dry unless something really bad is happening and your servers are being damaged anyway. In my opinion, subfloor gas and above floor pre-action sprinklers remains the best (safest, most reliable, cost effective and environmentally friendly) combination for data center fire suppression.

Ken

hurfi 06-18-2009 04:53 AM

*Combo of thermal and photo optical smoke detectors - above and below false ceiling
*VESDA Laser Plus (operates as an interlock with the conventional detectors), above and below false ceiling
*Dry pipe/Pre-action sprinkler system with high temp heads (green), above and below false ceiling
*FM-200 Gas - above and below false ceiling

Gas fires when multiple conventional detectors AND VESDA are activated
Pre-action is also armed/flooded when theses conditions are met and then activated when a sprinkler head passes it's thermal limit.

Cheers,

Jesse

charles 12-25-2009 08:41 AM

Hello Martin

Thank you for sharing the information. Please keep sharing more and more.

Have a nice time ahead

citchki 03-15-2010 01:03 PM

In our data centers uses both smoke detectors and fire sprinkler systems.
----------------
Baby Monitor

scoott271 06-03-2010 07:13 AM

__________________________________________________ _______

Web Design Birmingham
Website Design Birmingham

PeterC 06-03-2010 02:59 PM

Gas is great but if it doesn't put out the fire you need the water to kick in. Both is ideal or if you are on a budget I would go with the two stage pre-action.

jeff1343 06-29-2010 12:39 PM

The gas based fire suppression is triggered by smoke and water sprinklers are triggered by heat, so i think its best to have both of them.. and my office uses the both systems..!!

-------------------------------------------------
Accommodation Italy
Milan Hotel