Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Back-up Systems and Data Recovery (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   backup on tape drive? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14852)

tom 01-09-2009 07:19 PM

backup on tape drive?

Do you guys keep backup on tape drive or disk drive? We are keeping ours in tape drive.

whitey 01-09-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom (Post 22267)
Do you guys keep backup on tape drive or disk drive? We are keeping ours in tape drive.

both, we are backing up roughly 60TB a week on tape and then have capacity for 30TB on disk

fastnetwork 01-13-2009 04:20 PM

I'm just wondering that why do you have tape drive and disk drive for backup? Why can't you just have disk drive? We only use disk drive for backup. Are there any advantages over disk drive?

Schumie 01-17-2009 07:48 PM

While tapes are somewhat seen as legacy, I still like to have tape backups that go truly offsite to a holding company.

Yes, you can do online storage across multiple data centres, taking snapshots etc.. but it's always best to have as many options as possible!

scribesunlimited 01-27-2009 05:10 PM

Good times. I remember 1986 using a System 36 IBM Mainframe that took up half the room. Every single day we'd do an IDMS Dumps and I told my friend as we hauled out a box of tapes to the car to take to the bank for storage, "You know, some day we'll be holding this all on a keychain." and he LAUGHED at me. :-D

princee18 01-28-2009 05:15 AM

We also use Tpe drives for backup as they are most reliabile, ease to use. Moreover, only the tape has an extremely high storage capacity as compared to other devices.

Zordani 02-09-2009 12:41 PM

Tape drive? Wasn't that, like, vintage technology? I can't imagine why would anyone still use it today. Are there any advantages that I don't know about?

Schumie 02-10-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zordani (Post 23008)
Tape drive? Wasn't that, like, vintage technology? I can't imagine why would anyone still use it today. Are there any advantages that I don't know about?

Used in conjunction with some smart software (such as IBM's TSM) tapes are ridiculously valuable. When you're dealing with data that you have to retain for 7 years due to legislation, tapes all of a sudden become very attractive as once written too they can be stored without the need for power or the such.

whitey 02-17-2009 06:37 PM

tapes are cheap, effective, and reliable.. they give us a lower dollar/GB then disk will in the forseeable future.

yawnbox 06-20-2009 09:24 PM

The LG N4B1 is more of a small business backup and archive solution, but what are the pros and cons of backing up on 25GB or 50GB blue ray disks rather than on tape?