Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues. (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best OS? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1776)

omgitztrey 06-13-2005 05:27 PM

Best OS?

What's your preference and why?

polk 06-27-2005 04:09 AM

The is no best OS. There is OS for one or the other purpose. See web sites for Windows Server and Linux. They have all the features. Also some OS are free and not free. :))

Jatos 06-27-2005 08:04 AM

My opinion would be that apache/linux makes the best web server by far but windows is the best OS if you have a desktop PC. Reason why I say this is in my experience linux makes a very slow desktop PC but as a web server its most reliable.

Matt McReavy 07-03-2005 07:52 AM

I like linux for a server cause it has the option of no GUI (which takes lots of resources). And I like windows for surfing the net and checking my email (good for simple things).

PCBplus 07-05-2005 11:08 PM

We like Fedora Core 3 and Centos 4.0 for webservers even tho we do use windows for asp.net sites.

keybd_user 05-18-2007 08:15 AM

It depends.

Hi,

Windows is not a OS, it is a desktop/multimedia OS.
If you want good 64 bit support you _Must_ install some distro of Linux.
This by itself makes your machine expand way beyond any Windows would allow.
For web hosting, unless you run asp sites there is not even an arguable choice about this.

What usually is discussed is the best distribution.
And that depends on your particular purposes.
For very secure systems I would go for either FereBSD or OpenBSD (not Linux), for web Hosting it really depends on your expertise ...
SuSE would be better if you have no experience. Debian would be good if you have a lot of experience under Linux.
I have several Linux OS's installed and never had a problem for many many years.

Regards,
Pedro

SuperRacks 05-20-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keybd_user (Post 13619)
Hi,
<snap>

This is really a lot of bull :)

IIS is a very good webserver and MSSQL stands its match as a db server. Lamp is very popular amongst low budget and starters, but that doesn't mean that Windows is ########.

If you are serious about hosting, you should offer Windows et al. Otherwise you will loose a lot of customer potential, especially the customers with a wallet that just want an integrated solution.

So, I really connect with the *nix cli, but that doesn't mean our customers have to.

######## actually is s h i t , and is automagically removed ;-)

MrZodiac 06-05-2007 01:12 PM

Linux

I prefer FreeBSD as I feel it's the most stablest. If were talking linux wise it would be Debian.

viyh 06-08-2007 02:29 PM

I've used debian for a long time now but ubuntu seems to be the best all around choice for home/office desktop and for servers.

Slaine 07-06-2007 08:29 AM

HPUX because i use it the most day to day.

Linux wise i like Centos and Ubuntu.