Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Server Discussion (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Long time investment for my site (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13849)

cogbuddy 10-10-2008 04:18 AM

Long time investment for my site

I have decided to start a site for our class students. As we are in the final year of college, we want to have our connectivity. So we have planned to buy a hosting account in a server for a life time. But we need infinite bandwidth because as the time pass by, we will have large number of photos to be updated. What is your suggestion in this?

cogbuddy 10-11-2008 02:02 AM

I expect some sort of replies from you guys. Let me be more specific in what i wanted. i have planned to set the site with all our class members having a login. Each and everyone will have to update their profiles, photos. we do not know when we will meet after the college finishes. To upload photos of 125 members on a constant members will demand infinite bandwidth in the years to come. Diskspace must also be huge.

Also i need to have a server package for atleast 10 years. Only then we guys can share the price and buy it now itself. Else it will be a difficult task to go and collect money. So suggest me some hosting for a minimum of ten to lifetime hosting.

cogbuddy 10-13-2008 04:45 PM

Well this is too bad....

KenB 10-13-2008 05:36 PM

I think the "infinite bandwidth" and "pay up front" requirements have people stumped. Sounds like you might be better off using Flickr or any of the thousands of community/photo sharing sites out there. The small monthly cost and occasional performance issues will be a small price to pay for those who really want to keep in touch.

Ken

satelliteole 10-16-2008 10:05 PM

cogbuddy
Please specify approximately monthly bandwidth that your website will really use. If it is about 400Gb per month I believe shared hosting account will be ok for you. If you need more bandwidth I think VPS (virtual private server) could handle it.

As for the application. Have a look at Coppermine gallery, phpAlbum, etc.

cogbuddy 10-17-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satelliteole (Post 20805)
cogbuddy
Please specify approximately monthly bandwidth that your website will really use. If it is about 400Gb per month I believe shared hosting account will be ok for you. If you need more bandwidth I think VPS (virtual private server) could handle it.

As for the application. Have a look at Coppermine gallery, phpAlbum, etc.

Well, thank you for the tip there. i am not sure with the bandwidth that i will be needing at the moment. But i could say that on an average 100 photos will be uploaded and will be viewed by all 100 members. Atleast 50 members will be viewing it. So how much will be the bandwidth will be required?

jigyasa 10-18-2008 02:48 PM

What I would recommend is to start off with a shared hosting account with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space on a host like HostGator and if your needs exceeds the system specifications you should shift to a VPS host.

taki 10-25-2008 12:23 AM

Shared hosting is probably in your best interest until you learn what your going to really need. Give it a shot and then upgrade if necessary.

Keith 10-25-2008 05:50 AM

10 year contract? Holy smokes! I would HIGHLY recommend against signing a 10 year contract on a website! I dont believe many webhosting companies will stay in business or go without being sold in 10 years. Many companies will sell you a 10 year contract and then after the 1st year, things will most likely start going down hill. When I was in hosting, we LOVED when people signed a 2 year contract! A 3 year contract would make some of the sales people WAY too happy! The other ones that aren't in this type of business model will either A) Laugh at you or B) not sell you a 10 year contract. The only thing I could imagine a 10 year contract on would be a house...

I would recommend just using something like Facebook to keep in touch and share photos. To me, a link to Flickr on a Facebook page would be so much more convenient, simple, and best of all...free.

Good luck in whichever route you plan on going.

attagirl 11-29-2008 11:25 PM

I too think that it is a bad idea to ever sign a contract for that amount of time. I would never do it as companies come and go and you have no controll but would be out the money. I think that any company that insists on you signing a contract in any capacity is simply not being as honest as they should be with you. You should be able to change hosting companies at any time for any reason you so choose. Many of the companies out there are not honest and they promise things that they do not follow through with.