Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   TYpes of Alternative Energy Technology (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28247)

jackson 05-19-2011 10:21 AM

TYpes of Alternative Energy Technology

What are some of the various types of technology that can be used when looking for alternative sources of energy for the data centers.

emad 05-21-2011 10:25 AM

You can use solar panels to utilize some solar energy. This especially can work for some of the office buildings you might use. Some data centers are now utilizing wind power. I am not sure what all the technology used is for this.

IDCA 05-25-2011 06:17 AM

data center authority

some of the cabinets are coming with in build cooling system which will save more power

Zitibake 09-02-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackson (Post 41108)
What are some of the various types of technology that can be used when looking for alternative sources of energy for the data centers.

3-year-olds?

(just kidding)

There are solar/wind companies pitching to datacenters:
"We will build a solar array/wind farm next-door to your DC, if you promise to buy all the power we can make for 10 years; in return, we promise to sell that power to your DC at 70% of market rate".

Regardless of the technology, the energy producer wins by not needing to tie into transmission lines (or even participate in the regulated energy marketplace). The datacenter wins by getting cheaper power. However, it may be difficult to generate enough power for this exchange to materially affect the datacenter operating budget.

IT-Manager 09-07-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zitibake (Post 42775)
3-year-olds?

(just kidding)

There are solar/wind companies pitching to datacenters:
"We will build a solar array/wind farm next-door to your DC, if you promise to buy all the power we can make for 10 years; in return, we promise to sell that power to your DC at 70% of market rate".

Regardless of the technology, the energy producer wins by not needing to tie into transmission lines (or even participate in the regulated energy marketplace). The datacenter wins by getting cheaper power. However, it may be difficult to generate enough power for this exchange to materially affect the datacenter operating budget.

Hopefully in the future we can figure out a way to change that balance of power from the energy companies. I've been looking into solar panels for the top of my building, but the initial cost is insane. I've been doing the math and it would take years to regain the money. With the economy the way it is, we're stuck.