Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   working in a DC (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9005)

nomad438 11-22-2007 08:39 PM

working in a DC

How is working in a DC? Are their any around South Carolina(Clemson/Anderson)

dougeth 12-14-2007 03:53 AM

Hi Nomad438,

The closest datacenters I know of off hand are in Greenville. Too far away? As a side note, Clemson University most likely has a data center facility on or around campus.

Sago-Sean 12-20-2007 07:22 PM

Working in a DC will definitely give you first hand experience and they are usually in the know on the latest and greatest hardware and software in use. I would recommend trying to acquire one. I know at our DC we have internships available I am sure there are some where you are at. Good luck with your search.:D

dfisher 03-30-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adult100mbps (Post 15432)
Working in one would be very fun. i think. you get to mess around building all day. lol

I think that is oversimplifying it a bit my friend. Howver, I agree they are a great place to get hands on experience with lots of different technologies and applications. The bigger the DC the better, as then you get to play with the really cutting edge stuff :)

Daxter_Fellowes 04-01-2008 10:59 PM

Working in a data center making isn't what it's hyped to be. Sure, it's fun in all, but it requires a lot of work. Often times you don't get much sleep. Your hours are odd if things happened. You could be sleeping an a server could fail, so emergencies at work. Yeah, it's fun, but you have to put a lot in to get it back.

Blast 06-05-2008 04:29 AM

First of all you have to ask yourself... do I want to be surrounded by lights, switches and walls all day long? If so then a DC is the place for you!

molly00000 06-28-2008 10:11 AM

Having a data center job puts you on the bleeding edge of technology and hi-tech equipment. By working in a data center you will naturally be more advance than your peers who work in different industries experienced in technology.

Maverick 06-28-2008 05:21 PM

Working with a DS requires detailed amount of skills , Technical as well as mental, there can be different surrounding condition that you can expect there, with noises being one of them along with some humidity and heat at some places.

Anantha 07-01-2008 01:43 PM

Despite the popular belief that its "fun", people who actually work in day in and day out find it quite strenous because you can only bear the dry air and cold and annoying sound for so much. Its not fun to be in that environment very long.

Maverick 07-12-2008 06:20 PM

Anantha you missed out Noises, They would be quite a havoc with so many machines buzzing around everywhere. Prolonged exposure may have even bitter consequences.