PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried to reboot remotely?

spidertech
01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
This may be old news to many of you, but I've recently had the Powerstrips installed, which allow me to be able to reboot my server from anywhere, at anytime. I decided to do that, because I am on the road quite a bit, and was worried about my server crashing, and not being able to do anything about it. I have actually needed to reboot remotely twice already, and am so glad that I can!

Jesper
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I actually just read a blog post (http://kvm-minicom.blogspot.com/2012/02/when-ip-kvm-becomes-powerful.html) that described how you now can do a remote power reboot from inside the IP KVM session. While the principle is not new, it was actually the first time I heard that it can be integrated with any PDU and not only with a specific brand. Quite cool!

mightyjoe
03-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Your server will not crash. But only issue is in case there is some abnormality with the server nobody is there to notice and correct it. I think you should limit rebooting only when it is the only option.

futurehosting
03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
APC has a lot of remote reboot strip options that work really well if you set them up and configure them right. Clients always seem to like the option of handling it themselves.

ITivan80
03-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Remote reboots is an essential part of a data center and it a must have standard i am glad that you have control of the power strips so you can reboot server. Crashing is whole separate issue so if your server does crash it either has hardware issues or software issues.

StealthyHosting
05-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Network PDU's are very critical for monitoring load ontop of the usefulness of remote management.