PDA

View Full Version : Help

lordhaha
08-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi guys, not sure whether this is the correct place, but I'll try.

I am going to live on a boat in the Med and will be coasting Spain and France. My business is on the net. I have a brilliant Vaio all set up for wifi and bluetooth, wireless enabled.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get internet access. I know there are hotspots and I know that I could use 3G thru my mobile phone but that is not really a solution. Is there such a thing as satellite access or radio access?

Any help appreciated

JohnT

Keith
08-11-2006, 07:58 PM
JohnT,
I hope you have figured this out already as this post is pretty old. Incase you did not, there are certainly a number of marine satellite internet providers. Sea Tel Inc. has a product that is used for this purpose. They also have TV dishes for marine applications. These are very costly from what I can tell and you will pay per minute charges unless you go with a higher rate plan. I am sure you can find other providers that offer lower rates by googling "Marine Satellite Internet"

If I were you, I would suggest Verizon's wireless modem (evdo I belive). The PCMCI card that they provide has proven to be very stable. I tried one out and did a trip with family from DC to MI...I only lost connection once during the whole trip. I believe the card is rated at 240k roughly...Not bad in a pinch.

--Keith