PDA

View Full Version : Tier 4

Neoeclectic
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone know if a data center with a single utility feed and a single generator i considered tier 4?

KenB
11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Nope. G.5 says "The building should have at least two utility feeders from different utility substations for redundancy."

Ken

raid
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Nope. G.5 says "The building should have at least two utility feeders from different utility substations for redundancy."

Ken

Have often wondered what is meant by redundant utility feeds. If you have two substation transformers on site (they could even be in the same room) and they both go back to the same transformer upstream, is this any improvement? How far upstream do you have to go to get the redundancy level required to meet Tier 4?

smilers
11-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Anyone know if a data center with a single utility feed and a single generator i considered tier 4?

Technically, No. But in countries where there is only one universal utility company(by government). There isn't a choice. Instead, improvising (i.e. N+2 or 2N+2) would be ideally close to Tier 4.

Neoeclectic
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks. I was able to sort of figure it out over the weekend. I think technically our facility is (N+1) being 1 utility feed and 1 generator. TIA says that 2(N+1) would be more inline with T4. My interpretation of that is two unique utility feeds and a generator each.

Does that sound about right?

KenB
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Ken

Have often wondered what is meant by redundant utility feeds. If you have two substation transformers on site (they could even be in the same room) and they both go back to the same transformer upstream, is this any improvement? How far upstream do you have to go to get the redundancy level required to meet Tier 4?

Good point. Transformers and other redundant gear should probably have some "geographic diversity," so that important eggs don't share the same basket.

Ken

SteelVault
12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks. I was able to sort of figure it out over the weekend. I think technically our facility is (N+1) being 1 utility feed and 1 generator. TIA says that 2(N+1) would be more inline with T4. My interpretation of that is two unique utility feeds and a generator each.

Does that sound about right?

That is the exact definition. Also look at: http://www.adc.com/Library/Literature/102264AE.pdf
or Data center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center#Data_center_classification)

good luck