PDA

View Full Version : Test Server Virtualization

nagarajan.haridas
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Hello Pals,

I am planning to have 1 Dedicated (Standalone) Server for my lab to host Virtualization Host ( like Vmware GSX Server or Sun xVM ) . I prefer those as I wanted to test my applications to run on Virtual Machines to test whether it will work fine or not in Virtual Platforms....

I prefer to have a 2 TB Local Storage for this setup

Can anybody suggest best hardware model from HP and Dell ?
Also which is robust and cost effective -- Intel VT or AMD V ?

Thanks
Nags

hemalmewada
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Go for Intel Xeon 5410 or higher. That what I have derived after reading lots of stuff regarding hardware recommendation for virtualization with VMware ESXi

jackson
11-26-2010, 05:08 AM
My suggestion is you should have Vmware GSX Server to host Virtualization because it offers you:
• Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 Server—all editions are supported for both single-processor and multiprocessor installations
• Windows XP SP1 and Windows NT Server SP6a—single processor installations only.
• Red Hat Linux 7.2, 9.0, Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS 2.1 & 3.0 (update 1)—all editions are supported for both single-processor and multiprocessor installations.

eilert
11-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I am also agreeing, because Sun xVM Server is not generally available, as Oracle has announced that it is going to acquire Virtual Iron. Oracle Acquires Virtual Iron to Accelerate Its Entry into Virtualization Space.

mike2011
11-26-2010, 05:29 AM
I am also agreeing, because Sun xVM Server is not generally available, as Oracle has announced that it is going to acquire Virtual Iron. Oracle Acquires Virtual Iron to Accelerate Its Entry into Virtualization Space.

Why would Oracle want to buy Virtual Iron if it already has Oracle VM and nearly completed Sun xVM Server?:confused: