PDA

View Full Version : Disaster recovery question

fastnetwork
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello guys,

We are planning to setup disaster recovery site for some of the citical applications. Is there a basic guide out there? What kind of split we can us?

Thanks in advance.

KenB
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Your question suggests you are very inexperienced in this area. In your situation, I would contact a disaster recovery services provider. I don't know where you're from, but Sungard, HP and IBM are popular in the US. Also, you might check out the wealth of information and resources available at DRII (http://www.drii.org/).

Ken

Schumie
01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
For those who are UK based, their is also the Business Continuity Management Institute which provides good guides (but they certainly need to be adapted to your business) and it certainly covers more than just application services - it's all very well have your applications online for your users, but how would you deal with the situation where your HQ is put out of action and you need to relocate staff - what plans are in place to inform them that their has been an incident, where will the war room be setup to handle and who are the key personnel within the business that are required to manage all of this.

whcdavid
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes, there are many solutions available. It all depends on your applicationsas well. If it's very critical application. You can have servers in 3 or 4 locations and you can sync the data, but I believe most of they companies have one disaster sites. Am I right?

princee18
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, in our case we used the assistance of disaster recovery service providers and got satisfactory results so i would recommend them.

Oigen
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Always talk to spe############ts when you don't know what you're dealing with. Otherwise you just might end up doing more harm than you'd want. And you don't want that to happen to your data center.

alicelas
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Getting another company to do it looks like the best option here to me.

With something like this, you really don't want to have insufficient protection, and for it to then come crashing down around you.

Oigen
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't know why my post got moderated, but moving on. I was saying you should talk to professionals. It's the single, best way to handle disaster recovery systems, should you ever need to set them in place.