PDA

View Full Version : Is wireless networking safe and secure?

Maverick
07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Why should one prefer to go wifi rather than a wired network.Isn't it that wired networks are more secure than the wireless networks.

cirereyes
07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm currently using Wi-Fi for all my computers at home because I don’t want my computers to just stay in one place, I want my computers to be placed where I need them that’s why I chose wireless. Wireless is a bit slower and less secured but for home use I think it’s just fine.

tomandrew
09-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Using wifi won't have a great deal of problems, because of undistrubed failure of lines. No breakage of lines and don't have much need to call for the customer services.

Tampa Telecom
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
The matter is not about the security wired internet connection is also secure like wireless but the matter is all about mobility with the wireless connectivity.

Steve Baker
09-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Wireless network refers to any type of computer network that is wireless, and is commonly associated with a telecommunications network whose interconnections between nodes is implemented without the use of wires. Wireless telecommunications networks are generally implemented with some type of remote information transmission system that uses electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, for the carrier and this implementation usually takes place at the physical level or "layer" of the network. In recent times, there have been increased concerns about the safety of wireless communications, despite little evidence of health risks so far. The president of Lakehead University refused to sign off on installation of a wireless network citing a California Public Utilities Commission study which said that the possible risk of tumors and other diseases due to exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) needs to be further investigated

stoppingfear
08-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Personally I don't think so. It's very easy to compromise a wireless network.

Fabion
08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Wireless networking is best if router is good then no problem.I often use it for my laptops.Thanks

Fabion
08-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Wireless networking is best if router is good then no problem.I often use it for my laptops. chicago condos (http://invscorealty.com/)##

GaryH
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
If your worried about security (which you should be if using wireless!, well maybe not worried, but conscious certainly) you can secure it with a few easy steps.

1. Make sure you use wireless encryption - I would go for "WPA2-PSK [AES+TKIP]" if your router supports it

2. Find out your computers MAC address by typing "ipconfig /all" and look for the MAC/Physical Address and set the router up to only allow MAC addresses that you allow.

3. DON'T use a DHCP server on the router - Set IP addresses manually

4. Don't broadcast the SSID, and enter the details manually

5. Make sure you change the routers default password for the administration control panel

------------
With these 5 steps, you will be just fine - Make sure you keep your network details on paper, not on a text file in "My Documents" and put away in a safe place.
;)

booking1212
11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
The one of the advantage is inherent nature of wireless is that it doesn’t require wires or lines to contain the data/voice/video. As such, the system will carry information across geographical areas that are prohibitive in terms of distance, cost, access, or time.

eilert
11-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Your question is good but I think the technology is all about improvements. We must follow and adopt these changes. Wifi is unique, because that provides a wireless communication standard used between computer devices to share files and resources.

eilert
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Also, I concern about the security parameters of the wi-fi network, an WEP key really helps know your user better.

GaryH
04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't use WEP! It's not secure enough

Paul0130
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes if configured correctly.

But nothing is 100% secure, it can always be bypassed somehow.

1paket.com
08-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Noting can be completely safe unfortunately.

host
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Wireless networking has a increasing in the present days the reason is that people don't want to stick with just one place so adopting wireless network is a good option.

dukzcry
02-20-2014, 01:25 AM
Wireless telecommunications networks are generally implemented with some type of remote information transmission system that uses electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, for the carrier and this implementation usually takes place at the physical level or "layer" of the network.

fredd686
06-19-2014, 10:23 AM
wireless nowadays are secured and well of course the mobility you can connect anywhere with wireless not like wired

Kassidy Fletcher
07-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Wireless networks holds an added security challenge compared to wired networks. While wired networks send electrical signals or pulses of light through cable, wireless radio signals transmit through air and are naturally easier to interrupt.